in 1816, a bishop bet one of his plots of land at a gaming table and lost it to Raymond Étienne Amiel. At that time the property consisted of 10 hectares of vines in the heart of the Rousillon. Destroyed by phylloxera in 1865, the estate was replanted with American rootstock. When the owners died still carrying a mortgage in 1907, Charles Dupuy took ownership. His son Jean developed it and began producing a natural sweet wine branded Mas Amiel. Charles, the grandson, continued development of the estate until his death in 1997. In 1999, Olivier Decelle acquired the Mas Amiel estate, which at that time was 226 hectares, of which 170 had vines growing on them.

Located in the heart of the Agly Valley near Maury, protected to the north by the Corbieres hills and to the south by the Pyrenees, the 170 hectares of Mas Amiel vines grow on black outcrops surrounded by white limestone cliffs. The vineyard is always under the watchful eye of the Cathar fortress of Queribus.

Visit Producer's Website